Thursday, January 12, 2006

A little cultural info...


Ok, so I haven't given much information about where I'll be or what I'll be doing. So I'm going to do that now. I am heading to the city of Chiang Mai, which is in North-West Thailand. I will be working in a place called "The Centre" which works in with Thai students from the nearby University Campus. Mostly I'll be teaching conversational English.
If you want to check out where I am working, their website is:
http://www.thecentrethailand.org/
In terms of what they do, their mission etc. it's probably better for you just to read what they've put up. After all, I'd hate to be redundant.
Here's what I know about Chiang Mai:
" Popularly known as the Rose of the North, Chiang Mai is blessed with stunning natural beauty and unique indigenous cultural identity. Founded by King Mengrai the Great as the capital of the Lanna Thai kingdom by merging the various city-states in the region in 1296. Today Chiang Mai is the economic, communications, cultural and tourism centre of Northern Thailand.

About 700 kilometres from Bangkok, Chiang Mai is situated on the Mae Ping River basin some 310 metres above sea level. Surrounded by high mountain ranges, it covers an area of approximately 20,107 square kilometres. The terrain is mainly jungles and mountains, parts of which are within national parks which are still fertile and verdant with plentiful flora and fauna. There are many sites and locations where tourists prefer to visit to study the lifestyle of the tribal people who live on high"
To be more honest, that is what I stole from another travel website about Chiang Mai.
Population ideas seem to vary. Some say about 250,000 while others say more than a million. I guess we'll see!
Other than that, it is a cultural and religious centre, with over 300 Buddhist Temples in the area. Should be interesting.

2 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just updated my blog to add a link to your site.

blessings

 
At 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome, thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home