Saturday, January 21, 2006

Craziness!

Hello from Bangkok! I can't believe I'm actually here.... well except for the humidity, and it must be at least 25C now at 7 in the morning.
Kalen met me at the airport, with her supervisor, Michelle Williams of the PAOC. Awesome place she has! When I get my camera hooked up in Chiang Mai, I'll send pictures!

I wanted to say a big thankyou to all those who saw me off. And to Sylvia who made this INCREDIBLE scrapbook for me with messages for me from people all over the place, as far as Slovakia even! It's beautiful, and I do not doubt it will encourage me on the hard days.

The flights were pretty uneventful. All were on time, and I didn't have any difficulty with boarding passes or anything. The most memorable part was probably flying in Incheon airport in South Korea.

Have you seen it? There is nothing like that sunset descent into the airport. You descend amongst the clouds, radiant with golden light. The sun sinks slowly into the sea, blood red and beautiful. The islands along the coast loom up black and mysterious, fortresses rising from the shining silver sea. From my window seat, I was in a perfect place to witness the spectacle of God's glorious creation. It was beautiful, majestic, glorious. It would have been perfect... had it not been for the blood pouring from my nose.
So imagine me. The seatbelt sign is on, we are just about to land. The stewardesses are running for their seats. And I am trying to staunch the prodigious red flow, my nose deciding to imitate the first plague of Moses. My seat mate, Richard, looks over. His eyes widen. He starts pushing the flight attendant button wildly. One comes, takes a look and runs for the nearest bathroom. She hands me a couple of kleenex, then dissapears. Another one shoves a box of kleenex at me and runs to her seat, trying to get her seatbelt on before we land. Richard starts ripping off wads of tissue, motioning for me to insert them up my nostril. And there I am, giggling amongst the kleenex and the chaos. Which makes me sneeze. You get the picture.
Richard was lots of fun to sit with. He manages a campgroud in one of Korea's national parks. And he's been studying English for a month. So, with the limited vocabulary that we had in each other's languages I understood this:
-He wants me to marry his son who lives in Prince George, B.C. His name is Steven and he's 25. I think that's gotta be a record, not even off the plane and I got a marriage proposal.
-He wants me to postpone my flight home in Korea so that he and his wife can take me travelling along the east coast of Korean beaches.
-He wants me to come and teach in the "Korean Academy" school.
-He doesn't like blood.

Well, that's all for now folks. Kalen says a big hello. (Rick and Judy, I said Hi to Michelle. She says Hi back.)

Next post: From Chiang Mai!!

2 Comments:

At 11:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're such a stud!

 
At 1:06 AM, Blogger Bethany said...

Thanks! I pride myself on that! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home