Monday, April 03, 2006

Mormon Missionaries and Elephants

So, I ended up feeling better on Saturday, so I loaded up on the Tylenol and took off for the bamboo rafting. It was amazing. We were just given the raft this time, no guide, so I took her down for a bit, and then one of the guys took over. It's actually quite tiring.
Just as we were getting to the end, I saw up ahead some elephants playing in the water, so I polled like crazy to hurry the raft up, and then eventually just jumped off completely and ran over to them just as their riders were directing them out. So I had a short, but fun encounter.
This time I also found the cliff jumping spot at the end of the run. You climb up this 25 foot cliff and jump into the river just below the rapids where the water is deepest. It's crazy fun...
I also had a new food experience: ant eggs. They don't taste like much, they mostly just imitate whatever sauce they are in. But I'm sure texture people would not like them. Smooth and slimey, with a slight popping when you bite. I thought they were kinda fun.
Sunday morning I biked to Thai church. It turns out, I'm a little bit of an oddity here, on my bike. See, only really poor people bike here. The very bottom of society. Everyone else can afford at least an old scooter. But I'm white, and so they assume I'm not poor. Yet I still ride a bike, which is confusing to them.
But it turns out there is a part of the society (other than myself) who bikes by choice. Yup, you guessed it, the Mormon missionaries.
So when I parked outside the church in my black pants and collared shirt, one of the ladies inside the church could not understand why I would be coming to an evangelical church. So she asked the local missionary if I was a Mormon missionary.
Nope. But I mean, I know I was riding a bike, but my shirt was pink, not white, and I was alone. So we all had a laugh.
So that was my weekend - swimming, rafting, playing with elephants, etc. I bought a couple too.
Then this morning I went to the doctor... again... and I'll be going back on Thursday...again... seems nobody is sure why I keep having a fever, but we're gonna find out!
Other than that, I'm feeling much better and much more like myself!
See you all very, very soon!

4 Comments:

At 1:37 PM, Blogger Meaghan said...

Oh Beth,
I just read all of last month!
It sounds like you're having so much fun!
Im jealous everyone is in China too or Asia!
I'm looking into Thailand for my internship...should be interesting.
You'll have to tell me ALL about it when you come home!When do you come home?
I laughed out loud in the library when I heard your friend was saying 'whats his name whats his name?"
SOOOO HILARIOUS!
That would be totally me!
You're so smart my friend!
Okay, back to assignments
Talk to you later!
Love you!

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Josh said...

sounds fun! :) Any word on Rudy? -lol

 
At 1:25 AM, Blogger Bethany said...

Hey Andre!
Well, antibiotics help in overcoming fevers, as does Tylenol. So it wasn't completely by myself!
Meaghan,
Yeah, stuff is great. We'll certainly go out for coffee when I get back. OR better yet, Moxie's white chocolate brownie! Hmmm!!!!!
Thomas, no word on Rudy. They are inside the China "no speakie" zone.

 
At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Bethany baby! How I miss you. It's Julie M here and I thought I'd drop a line to say hey and that it sounds like you are having a crazy fun time. Rafting, cliff jumping - now that's real missions :) Just jokes - I love you big bunches and hope you are blessed with health and loads of joy! Love ya, Julie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home